July 16, 2015
The information in this article applies to:
I have a Chief Architect plan file that I need to open in AutoCAD. How do I convert it to .dwg or .dxf?
Converting a Chief Architect plan file into either a two- or three-dimensional AutoCAD-compatible .dwg or .dxf file can be done easily using the export function.
To export a 3D .dwg or .dxf
Any perspective or orthographic camera view can be exported as a 3D model, including AutoCAD compatible .dwg or .dxf files.
- Enter a 3D view by selecting 3D> Create Perspective View> Perspective Full Overview .
- Select File> Export> Export 3D Model (DWG,DXF) .
- In the Export 3D Drawing dialog, select the Compatible Version and the Scaling Unit, then press Export.
- Set the location and file name of the model in the Save 3D Drawing File dialog, and press Save.
To export to a 2D .dwg or .dxf
Plan view, elevation views, and CAD Details can be exported as to-scale .dwg or .dxf files.
- Select File> Export> Export Current View (DWG,DXF) from the menu.
- In the Export Drawing dialog:
- From the Compatible Version drop-down list, select which version of AutoCAD you want the file to be compatible with.
- Select the Layer Set you'd like to export.
- Click the Export button.
- For additional information about the options in the Export Drawing File dialog, click the Help button in the bottom right corner of the dialog box.
A dialog will appear prompting for a save location:
- Specify a File Name and choose the location where you'd like to save this file to.
Note: This field is called Save As if you are running the software natively on a Mac.
- Click Save to save the file.