The information in this article applies to:
I need to create a custom object, what tool should I use?
A Polyline Solid is a generic, 3D shape that has a specified thickness. They can be oriented either horizontally or vertically and are useful for creating custom details anywhere in your 3D model.
A horizontal polyline solid can be created in floor plan view, or any 3D view, by selecting the Polyline Solid tool and then clicking and dragging to draw a rectangle.
A vertical polyline solid can be created in a cross section/elevation view in the same manner as in floor plan view. The polyline solid is placed in front of any objects visible in the view. If no objects are behind, the polyline solid is placed one foot in front of the camera.
Polyline solids can be edited the same way as other closed polyline-based objects.
In this article, a custom shaped mirror will be created. See the Related Articles section for other items that can be made with polyline solids
To create and edit the shape of a polyline solid
- From the menu, select 3D> Create Orthographic View> Cross Section/Elevation and create an elevation view.
In this example we are working in a new, blank plan.
- From this new elevation view, select Build> Primitive> Polyline Solid then click and drag to create a rectangle.
- Click on one side of the rectangle to activate that side, Notice that the edit handle on that side is now larger than the other sides. The active side is the side that will move when modifying dimensions.
In Chief Architect X10 and newer program versions, the active edit handle can be a different color than the rest. By default it will be red. This can be changed by accessing the Colors panel located in Preferences.
- Use temporary or manual dimensions to resize the rectangle to a basic 24" by 24" square.
- Next, click CAD> Lines> Draw Line the click and drag to draw four lines across the square 6" from the sides as shown:
- With the Select Objects tool active, select the polyline solid.
- On the edit toolbar, click the Break Line tool use the Intersection Snap Indicator to help place the breaks precisely where the lines intersect the polyline solid.
- Continue making break points at all intersections.
- Using the Select Objects tool, select the top edge of the polyline solid and click the Change Line/Arc edit button, then use the small triangular edit handle on the edge of the arc to increase the arc's height until it is 6" tall.
- Continue using the Change Line/Arc edit button to convert the middle sections of each side to arcs of 6" in height.
To cut a hole in the polyline solid
- Select CAD> Circles> Circle from the menu, and using the CAD line intersections within the polyline solid, click and drag to draw a circle.
- Select the CAD circle and then click the Convert Polyline edit button.
- In the Convert Polyline dialog, select Polyline Solid and click OK.
- On the General panel of the Polyline Solid Specification dialog, check the box next to Hole in Polyline Solid and click OK.
To edit the thickness and material
- Using the Select Objects tool, select the polyline solid. then click the Open Object edit button.
- On the General panel of the Polyline Solid Specification dialog, set the thickness to 1/2".
- On the Materials panel, select the Polyline Solid sub-component and click the Select Material button.
- In the Select Material dialog, search for Mirror.
- Select the Mirror material, click OK to close the Select Material dialog, then click OK on the Polyline Solid Specification dialog to apply your changes.
To add a label to the polyline solid
- Select the polyline solid and click the Open Object edit button.
- On the Label panel, select Specify Label and then type in what you would like displayed for the polyline solid's label in the text box below.
Additional examples using polyline solids
Gingerbread fachwerk architecture
An arched soldier course