The information in this article applies to:
I need to create a custom object, what tool should I use?
Many items can be created with the use of Polyline Solids, which are shaped 3D objects with a specified thickness. They can be oriented either horizontally or vertically and are useful for creating custom details anywhere in your 3D model.
A horizontal polyline solid can be created in floor plan view, or any 3D view, by selecting the Polyline Solid tool and then clicking and dragging to draw a rectangle.
A vertical polyline solid can be created in a cross section/elevation view in the same manner as in floor plan view. The polyline solid is placed in front of any objects visible in the view. If no objects are behind, the polyline solid is placed one foot in front of the camera.
Polyline solids can be edited the same way as other closed polyline-based objects.
In this article a custom shaped mirror will be created. See the Related Articles section for other items that can be made with polyline solids
To create and edit the shape of a polyline solid
- In a Cross Section/Elevation view, select Build> Primitive> Polyline Solid then click and drag to create a rectangle.
Click on one side of the rectangle to activate that side, Notice that the edit handle on that side is now larger than the other sides. The active side is the side that will move when modifying dimensions.
- Use temporary or manual dimensions to resize the rectangle to a basic 24" by 24" square.
- Next, click CAD> Lines> Draw Line the click and drag to draw four lines across the square. 6" from the sides as shown:
- With the Select Objects tool active, select the Polyline Solid.
- Use the Break Line tool to add additional edit handles where the lines cross the edges of the polyline solid. These intersection points will show an Intersection Snap Indicator when close to the intersection. When the indicator appears click to place a break line at that point.
- Continue making break points at all intersections
- With the Polyline Solid still selected, select the top middle section of the polyline solid to make that side the active side. Next, use the Change Line/Arc edit tool to convert that section into an arc. Click and drag the small triangle edit handle on the arc to increase or decrease the arc's radius until it's apex is 6" from it's baseline.
- Continue using the Change Line/Arc edit tool to convert the middle sections of each side to arcs of 6" height.
To cut a hole in the polyline solid
- Click CAD> Circles> Circle from the men and using the CAD line intersections within the polyline solid shape click and drag to draw a circle.
- Select the CAD circle and then click the Convert Polyline tool.
- In the Convert Polyline dialog, move the radio button to Polyline Solid and click OK.
- In the Polyline Solid Specification that opens next, put a check mark next to the Hole in Polyline Solid setting, and click OK.
To edit the thickness and material
- Use the Select Objects tool to select the polyline solid then click Open Object .
- In the Polyline Solid Specification dialog, on the General panel specify the thickness as 1/2".
- On the Materials panel select the Polyline Solid sub-component and then click Select Material.
- In the Select Material dialog search for Mirror.
- Select the Mirror material, then click OK on this dialog to close it and on the Polyline Solid Specification dialog to apply the material change.
To add a label to the polyline solid
- Select the polyline solid and then click Open Object .
- On the Label panel, select Specify Label and then type in what you would like displayed for the polyline solid's label in the text box below.
Additional examples of polyline solids
Gingerbread fachwerk architecture
An arched soldier course